Posted for YSSBack to Search Results Register your Interest
The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (P.A.C.E) and Youth Justice Board National Standards require that any young person aged between 10 and 17 years of age must have an Appropriate Adult present whilst being interviewed under caution at a police station.
In the first instance, the Appropriate Adult would be the partner/carer or close family relative. This often not possible for a variety of reasons and in such cases the police have a duty to request a suitably trained Appropriate Adult to attend.
The main purpose of the role and the responsibilities:
- To act as an Appropriate Adult in support of a vulnerable young person aged between 10 and 17 years of age.
- To safeguard the interests of children and young people detained or questioned by police officers.
- To ensure the detained young person understands their rights.
- To ensure that the detained person for whom you are acting as an Appropriate Adult, understands what is happening to them and why.
An Appropriate Adult is not involved in transportation, accommodation or other onward services that the young person my require.
Full training will be provided prior to starting this role.
YSS recruit volunteers from all walks of life and they do not expect them to have any specific education or formal qualifications. They are looking for volunteers with potential that they can develop as well as those with relevant experience.
Essential requirements are:
- Aged 18 years and over.
- Have the time, enthusiasm and willingness to volunteer with YSS for at least 12 months.
- Be able to relate to a diverse group of people.
- Be able to effectively communicate with others.
- Be able to demonstrate good listening skills.
- Be open to learning and show a commitment to personal development.
- Have a non-judgemental approach.
- Have the confidence and ability to deal with challenging situations.
- Be able to attend regular support meetings.
- Be available to volunteer for a minimum of 1 x rota slot, either morning, afternoon or evening each week including some weekends.
- Crime, Victims and Offenders
- Young People
- Advice and Information
- Legal Work
- Youth Work
No additional details recorded for this opportunity.
When do I need to be available?
Start Date: 27/02/2019
End Date: 27/02/2020
Once an Appropriate Adult is trained they are placed on the rota for times and dates that are suitable for them to be a standby. When a request is received from the police, YSS contacts the Appropriate Adult on the rota and supplies them the all the relev
This opportunity is available Countywide.